Saturday, July 14, 2012

   Today I delivered two blankets I had made for cancer patients. I went to Madison Hospital in Rexburg, Idaho. I made a blue blanket with shoes and a baby pink blanket. The first man I visited was all alone in his room watching tv. I went in with my two friends, Lauren and Emily. We visited with the man about his life, family and experiences. I do not know what stage of cancer he had, but he had tubes and medical equipment all around him and inside of his nostrils. By the look of his skin, he did not look well. He told us about his wife who had passed away two months earlier. He told us that they had been married for 73 years. He asked us what we were studying. He was from St. Anthony in Idaho. He repeatedly thanked me for the blanket and it was so great to visit with him. The next room brought me great joy and sadness at the same time. We visited an old woman, and he family surrounded her bedside. Her son grasped onto her hand as her daughter talked to the woman and tried to put her at ease.  Her daughter started tearing up a bit as she explained that three college girls were there to give her something, and it made me tear up as well. She was confused because of the medicine and the drugs she was on. I shook the hands of her children and smiled at the family remaining. I draped the pink blanket over the woman's fragile body. She kept saying things that did not make sense, and then she said, "I just want to go home." One of the men who I was talking to turned to me and said, "She is not talking about her home here. She is not going to make it." I told the family that they would be in my prayers. They thanked me multiple times for coming in, and I told them my pleasure- and really, it was. I am so blessed to have a body that I can walk with to the hospital and deliver blankets. I am so blessed. I do not have to wake up every morning and get ready to go to the hospital for the day. I do not have to wonder each day if a loved one is going to pass. But I know someday that will happen because death is part of the plan of salvation. I know that my attitude has changed and that I have gained a clear perspective on the beauty of life. I am so grateful for my life in which Heavenly Father gave me.

No comments:

Post a Comment